Introduction to the trade:
This apprenticeship is ideal for people wishing to work and gain skills in an office environment. Every business needs effective administration, and that need remains despite changes that may occur in terms of products or services. Administrators handle the day-to-day tasks in an office to help ensure things run smoothly. The role can involve organising people and resources, typing up board meeting documents, inputting, preparing and presenting financial data, etc. This sort of role requires a strong sense of responsibility, accuracy and attention to detail. Opportunities are varied across commercial and industrial settings and the type of position chosen can very much depend on interests and ambitions. A great thing about an administration role is that you can work almost anywhere. You will have transferable skills enabling you to work for a charity, bank or a record company!
From this apprenticeship you will develop a broad range of skills including; business writing, problem solving, understanding business systems, utilising resources and equipment, producing business documents, analysing data and effective communication techniques.
Each apprentice has a nominated Business Development Officer who will provide co-ordination between the employer, the College and the apprentice, giving continuity and support throughout the apprenticeship.
What qualifications will I gain?
There are two levels of apprenticeship available, the Intermediate Level 2 and the Advanced Level 3. You would start with the Intermediate apprenticeship which takes 2 years to complete and can then progress to the Level 3 if you wish.
Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Business Administration - this is the competency part of the qualification and essential for you to achieve the full apprenticeship. This part shows that you are competent in performing the skill, trade or occupation your apprenticeship requires.
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration - to show that you have the necessary technical skills, knowledge and understanding of theoretical concepts as well as knowledge and understanding of the relevant market and industry.
- Functional Skills - Providing you will a good level of literacy, numeracy and IT skills. Level 1 English, Level 1 maths and Level 1 ICT.
Advanced Apprentice (Level 3)
You would have already achieved an Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in Business Administration in order to progress to the Advanced Apprenticeship.
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Business Administration - this is the competency part of the qualification and essential for you to achieve the full apprenticeship. This part shows that you are competent in performing the skill, trade or occupation your apprenticeship requires.
- Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration - to show that you have the necessary technical skills, knowledge and understanding of theoretical concepts as well as knowledge and understanding of the relevant market and industry.
- Functional Skills - Level 2 English, Level 2 Maths and Level 2 ICT
How will I be trained?
Apprenticeships are designed with the help of the employers in the industry, so they offer a structured programme that takes you through the skills you need to do a job well. There are targets and checks to make sure that your employer is supporting you and you are making progress.
As an employee you will be in employment for the vast majority of your time as most of the training takes place on the job. The rest takes place at HCT. You can complete this off-the-job training on a day release or evening class basis. All the things you study at college during this time will be useful in your job and help you to succeed in your future career. Your employment will usually be for at least 30 hours per week.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take place through practical training at college and at the work place as well as via theory which is demonstrated through a portfolio of evidence. This will involve extensive report writing of a good standard. Work-based assessments are also carried out. Any relevant prior knowledge you may have will be used to assist in planning the programme and training.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship programme, but it is desirable to have reasonable grades in GCSE maths and English. An interest in administration/clerical work is expected as well as a smart appearance and a willingness to work as part of a team and communicate with a wide range of people. Students must be in full time employment.
Competition for places with employers can be fierce, so you will need to show that you are committed, and aware of your responsibilities to both yourself and the company who would employ you. You also need to be happy to work as both part of a team and individually, and be able to use your own initiative.
Minimum Age: 16
Duration: An Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) will take 12 - 18 months (Day release or evening classes) and an Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) will take a further 12 - 18 months (Day release or evening classes).
From the Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship, opportunities range from administrator/business support officer roles, receptionist, office junior, junior secretary.
From the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship roles could include administration officer /executive, personal assistant, secretary, administration team leader/office supervisor.
There is scope to progress further and study for a foundation degree, NVQ Level 4 or professional qualifications.
Contact: 0800 032 1986Apply Now
Enquire about this apprenticeship